Some
days I feel on top of the world, other days not so much, but I make it my
mission to learn new things from my daily experiences. While I can’t quite sum up today’s lesson
succinctly at the moment, I’m hoping I will be able to make better sense of it
as the wheels keep turning in my head.
I
attended an event at my job today where one of the guest speakers asked
everyone to state one special characteristic about themself. It was difficult for me to find one word that
I would be comfortable sharing. I felt
like it would be an admission so personal that may prove too revealing. Even though I hadn’t said a single word, I
felt exposed. My special characteristic
is that I’m generous.
I love helping people. I get so much joy
out of watching other people grow and succeed in their journey, and even more
joy when I’m able to help them, however small a role it may be. As a result, I’m generous with my time, my
attention, my finances, with whatever is within my power to help.
There
have been times when my generosity has proven to be somewhat of a fatal flaw
and I found myself in positions where I’d been taken advantage of, but that
doesn’t stop me from helping others.
Everyone needs help. One way or
another, we all need help.
I
can think of many people I could credit for helping me through hard times;
people who’ve lent an ear, a smile, a shoulder, a dollar. These people stand out in my mind because we
as humans have absolutely no obligation to each other – no social obligation to
be kind, no moral obligation to be just, and yet these people extend their
efforts to help someone other than themselves.
To me, that’s admirable. I felt
so inspired by all the people who’ve helped me along the way, so grateful that they
played a role in my growth that I try to pay it forward daily.
By
helping others, we demonstrate gratitude for the help with which we ourselves
have been blessed. To be on the receiving
end of help is humbling; to be on the giving end is even more humbling.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment