Friday, November 29, 2013

Officially My Unofficial Mission Statement

So, here I am.  I tore down the old website, but kept its foundation.  I’m looking to rebuild from the ground upwards, starting with the rubble.  Oddly enough, that’s the story of my life, as well.  How fitting and proper.  There is no reconstructing what hasn’t first been destroyed, and I’m aware of that, so I did a bit of demolition of my own volition, rather than wait for the inevitable.  When walls seem like they’re closing in on me, I let them get close enough for me to knock down so I could restructure my world.  I have a strong affinity for the proactive approach; some may even consider it a vice.

Is it too soon into this clean slate for me to start feeling nostalgic about the year that’s drawing to a close?  In my wild mind, it isn’t.  I could channel feelings of nostalgia from a telephone conversation that took place just yesterday.  My sentimentality knows no bounds.  So many aspects of my life have come full circle this year.  I’ve cut ties with anchors that weighed me down, and laid the groundwork for some really beautiful relationships to blossom.  I’m seeing myself, others, and the world around me through a fresh pair of eyes.  I learned to value being true to myself above all things.  I let go of the bittersweet fantasy world I lived in for so long where it felt like an obligation to be happy.  Instead, I am letting myself feel everything there is to feel.  I stopped living my life in hopes of pleasing others so I could focus on bettering myself in order to better help others.  Overall, I have honestly never felt freer to pursue self-actualization than right now, in my current position in life.

I want to continue appreciating all that is good, but I also don’t want to be blind to the fact that the truth can be harsh.  I’ve come a long way in terms of spiritual and emotional development, and I’m happy that the learning process is ongoing.  I don’t feel the pressure of any deadlines.  The pressure I feel is that of not wanting to repeat the same mistakes I made in the past, but then again it’s not really “pressure” as much as a motivating factor for self-improvement and a constant reminder of the importance of reflection.  I look forward to everything I have yet to discover.  Hopefully the path I'm traversing will lead me to the most effective ways to have a positive impact on the lives of others, and I feel like I’m on the right track with how I’ve been living – with hope, love, gratitude, and a handful of amazingly inspiring people guiding me.

Looking back, one of the most important skills I’ve harnessed this year with the help of some really great people is the ability to discern static relationships from dynamic ones, and the ability to decide and enforce which of these I want in my life.  My experiences have led me to value dynamic relationships, those where myself and others grow mutually.  I have come to understand that while not all change is necessarily growth, all growth is positive, whether people grow together or apart.  In all the instances I’ve encountered where people and I have grown apart, as painful as the initial separation may be, I always end up realizing sooner or later that it’s for the best.  When relationships are forced, we go against the flow of nature, which ultimately postpones (for the moment, if not indefinitely) our natural growth.  There is wisdom in letting nature take its course, and equal wisdom in awareness of all that we, ourselves, have control over.  In static relationships, common ground for growth is as scarce as blue gold in the Sahara.  Now, one can easily make the argument: common ground and growth depend on perception.  Fair enough, sure they do — but if I don’t perceive they’re there, then I’ve hit a brick wall, haven’t I?  Our experiences shape our perceptions; they also affect our reactions, both anticipatory and actual.  I’ve had lots of run-ins with such inescapable truths this year.  I’m sure they will emerge as recurring themes in future posts.  Universal truths are just that pervasive.

I return to this online confessional with my eyes more open than ever, with my heart more open than ever, with my world bigger and brighter than ever.  It’s my hope that by chronicling my journey I’ll be better able to sort out my thoughts and feelings, pour out more positive energy into the universe, and further my learning along the way.  Hopefully some good will come out of sharing my experiences, even if only for the purpose of self-therapy.


No comments:

Post a Comment