Picture
this – I’m 18 years old, staring at the breakfast menu at McDonald’s. I’m with friends from church and my 2 brothers,
ages 12 and 15 then. I asked my brothers
what they would like to order, knowing that neither of them had money to
purchase food for themselves. I just did
what felt natural to me – I offered to buy breakfast for my kid brothers. No big deal, right? You can imagine my surprise when they both
declined. I was puzzled. I asked, “Are you sure?” They both answered, “Yes."
As
I stood on the line waiting to order, my friend Pat approached me and said “You
know why they didn’t accept your offer, right?”
I shook my head that I didn’t, and he said “It’s because they wouldn’t
do the same for you."
Now
a little background on my friend Pat. At
the time, he was in his late twenties, a martial arts instructor with his own
studio, who was also doing a bit of motivational speaking on the side. He was newly elected president of the youth
organization at church, and was also a choir member. I valued his insight, as he seemed like a
great role model.
Now
back to the story. Pat went on to
explain that my brothers rejected my offer to buy them breakfast because deep
down they were the type of people who would not be as generous towards me had I
been the one without money for breakfast.
He said there are people who reject kindness because they don’t have it
in themselves to extend the same, should the roles be reversed. He was adamant. He was sure.
He said I should beware of those types of people because they’re
toxic. I responded, “Wow, that’s an
interesting take.”
I
knew in my heart my brothers weren’t like that.
I refused to believe that they were inherently selfish people with no
capacity for reciprocating acts of kindness.
Despite the natural self-centeredness of youth, my brothers were
certainly not toxic people. And they
were only children!! Young minds with so
much capacity for growth and learning.
How could such a highly-esteemed role model make such a grave judgment on
people’s character based off one random incident?
Fortunately,
even though Pat had the life credentials of a potential role model, I had the
common sense to reject the total horseshit he spewed. But what if I had been a more malleable youth? At that moment I felt a surge of confidence
in myself that no matter what type of authority a person seemed to have, I wouldn’t
be steered into believing anything I didn’t feel was in alignment with my
personal truth. That experience is
etched into my memory as a reminder of how important it is to be confident in my
ability to decide for myself and not easily swayed by other people’s polluted beliefs. Who knew moments of clarity and
self-assuredness could be achieved at McDonald’s?!
Friday, July 31, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment